Skip to main content

Hello April


I think everyone has the right to get REALLY excited when their birthday month rolls around. I for one, am losing my mind at the thought of giant metallic balloons in the shape of a '2' and '4'.

But I'm also acutely aware of people who disregard their birthdays as the curse of aging and the yearly reminder that their lives are not going as planned. If this is the case just change your plans.

I'll never understand why that concept is so confusing for people. 

As a soon to be '24' I am right in the age bracket of people who feel like they've gone nowhere and accomplished nothing. It sad to see and hear, and even I have my moments.

Growing up is scary and I'd like to think it always will be a little scary; no matter how old you are. Each age comes with different responsibilities and possibilities that are easy to fear. The trick to living happily is learning how to not let the fear rule you.

Your birthday is a cosmic "good job you made it" because everyday isn't guaranteed and you quite possibly narrowly missed several opportunities when one day could have been your last. You made it to another birthday but things aren't perfect? Make them perfect.

Life checkpoints that have twenty-something's dreading the next birthday usually go like this.


  1. "I've been out of school for months! Still no job!" As someone who basically studied the arts, I can tell you how scary this feeling is. After getting either turned down or ignored after about 100+ applications I realized I was going about it wrong. Take a step back and re-evaluate your process. Maybe shooting directly for your dream company or position isn't the best move right now. Take on something smaller or different. You never know what you might like.
  2. "I regret my field of study." Do it again. Really. I hate the thought of returning to school but there are other options. Explore a talent or learn something else. Sign up for some online classes or swing by your local community college. 
  3. "Should I be engaged yet? Have a house? Kids?" Uuuuuuh... I'll leave those answers up to you. Although, there is no rush. If you're ready it will come, if your not ready... DO YOU BOO! 
  4. "So many bills!" I'm pretty sure I've said this before. BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET. You may have more money, or less money, than you thought. Might be time to change your spending habits. 
  5.  "Everyone else is doing so much better than me." This one is my brain's personal favorite. Those classmates and friends that got amazing jobs right out of school are the bane of my existence. But that doesn't mean my life isn't going well in other ways. Stop comparing your life to anyone else's. That's not your job, your job is just to live for you.
Greet another year on this planet with a smile on your face, a pep in your step, and a drink in your hand! 

You made it! 




Popular posts from this blog

Make Space: Carving Out Your Slice of the Universe

Having a place to retreat to or a place to truly call home is one of the most important things in life that many young people overlook. I think that the notion of being free makes us forget what it's like to have a home.

Who do you suppose decided birds are free? They can fly wherever they choose...but if there's no branch for them to return to they might regret having wings, don't you think? Perhaps true freedom is having a home to return to.~Unknown
The moment I realized I wanted to move out I had no second thoughts, I was ready thanks to my mother training me vigorously on how to care for myself and why it's important to break away and become my own person.

Moving out isn't always a necessity in creating your space, though having more than just your room can make it easier. (seriously guys please stop trying to live by your own rules when you not paying for anything) I have seen other apartment spaces and the spaces of people still at home, and while most were j…

Humpday Update #21

My last hiatus was long and much needed.

Feeling ALL the feels, getting sick, working on side projects, and just being completely exhausted in general kept me from thinking straight enough to form sentences; let alone a blog post.

The hiatus was initially kicked off by the beginning of election season and all the horrific stuff that seemed to follow. 2016 has been a pretty gross year and I think everyone is just ready for January. Even as I tried to think of things to update you on I found it hard to maneuver around the stuff that sucks. But I did it.

I've been ignoring ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to do with the election. And not just the presidential election. In my hometown of Baltimore, even local elections are smothered in controversy and sheer stupidity. Corrupt politicians trying to run again and young newcomers claiming they know how to fix everything. Don't even get me started on the presidential election. I know who I'm voting for and that's all that matters.

My po…

2016 Wrap-Up: "Next Year I'll Do Something"

I'm not 100% sure what my resolution(s) for 2016 even was... I'm sure I set one; pretty sure anyway. But then again I don't know when I finally realized that resolutions are pretty stupid. I mean, it's mostly just something no one ever completes right? 
I guess it's just not for everybody. There are those people who can set and reach clear goals of any difficulty. I, unfortunately, am not one of those people. I've learned over this past year that I just sort of need to live "free form". I don't really meet goals or milestones and when I don't I feel like I failed somehow. 
I'd rather feel refreshed and excited by trying something new or completing something old than like I have meet goals to please others or myself. 
Because let's be honest, those resolutions aren't really for you. If they were they'd be personal, not blasted all over social media so we can feel good about others seeing how hard we're trying. Hopefully 2017…