Skip to main content

Selective Compassion



So I have written about this topic before.

When Paris was attacked, I was ashamed (even of myself) of the way people reacted to this country going through what they did. It was sad and we felt for them. But has anyone else noticed that we only ever feel for these "super power" countries when so many other places go through this everyday?

The following is what I wrote after Paris.

Every one of us is guilty.
We tend not to change the color overlay of our facebook pictures for countries like Afghanistan or Syria. Most of us don't even know that China's youth is so opressed and depressed that they're locking themselves away in their rooms and even killing themselves. No one bat an eye at the college campus in Kenya where 147 people were killed. And the Paris media attention drowned out the suicide bombing tragedy in Beirut one day before.
What happened in Paris is indeed a tragedy. But it brings to light how we as Americans pick and choose who to show our compassion to.
It's only fitting that we care about a world superpower but not about a tiny island or small village. We choose to send help to a country with a stable government (or in few cases monarchy), a perfectly capable military, and an overall ability to handle these situations on their own.
This is not to say we should ignore what happens around the world. But it is to say that we should show every country, even our enemies,  enough compassion to prove we are human.
Isn't it sad that humanity is something we need to prove?
This is the case with more places than just the US. But since I don't live anywhere else, I'm pointing out the issue here.
Wake up. Please.
Je suis Paris.
Je suis the rest of the world.  

I know we all feel for Brussels. It won't be long before Facebook concocts an overlay of their flag for people to "show their support" but not really do much else.

It's sad.

But then their is the thought of, "Do we react to every single bombing or attack?" "Does anyone expect us to send relief to EVERY country with problems?" "How do we keep up with so many incidents?"

I don't know.

But don't you think we should stop white-washing incidents and scaling their impacts against each other?

Don't you think it's only fair to care about everyone equally?




Popular posts from this blog

Be Back Soon

I hinted really heavy at this in the last update. Given I also promised a few posts before the next one – but anyway ... In short, my blogger mojo is gone. And in shorter, my life needs me. My interests lately have just moved to other projects and I can't seem to focus on writing good posts with meaningful content when my mind is someplace else. I plan to be back to posting by July 4. See you then.

Humpday Update #9

Does anyone else find it highly annoying when you make plans to be productive and instead spend your time moping and binge-watching Archer? I do. Having a three day weekend for easter was supposed to be functional and full of energy. Instead of sticking to my guns I found myself doing nothing productive. I have a huge project I want to get off the ground and I've hardly started on it. I did clean and rearrange my apartment a bit so the weekend wasn't a complete waste. But here we are on Wednesday, feeling like a Monday, and I have nothing to show. My new plans resolve around unifying this blog. I managed to do at least that starting this past Monday. New layout, and a slow rolling in of more unified imagery for my posts. Trying to sell a discontinued DSLR to get a small body mirrorless for post images and everyday use. But I guess before I start shuttering away I should plan on leaving the comfort of my bed and Netflix more often... Jeez.

Humpday Update #23: "Project Motivation"

2016 Eisner Award Winning "Paper Girls" So what you probably can't tell from my absence is that I've been secretly working on "Project Motivation". I talk a lot about making lists, getting things done, and tackling personal projects; as well as being tired, worn out, and just plain not in the mood. All the while "Project Motivation" has been a go. Christmas was the best time to really put things into action. I got the whole week off from work which was much needed to recharge and focus on things I really wanted to do. I spent time with family, my boyfriend, and my fur babies and recently finally went shopping. Getting mostly things to change my living space up including a new desk and trinkets to draw me back into drawing and designing. I grabbed a graphic novel I've been wanting to start and fun bits and bobs. The major bits of "Project Motivation" have been set into motion or completed. Create a Workspace Create/Upd...