Skip to main content

And No One Else...


There are plenty of lessons my mother has taught me that I hold dear. There are also a few lessons that were hard to follow and only became staples for me in recent years.

One of the most useful for me has been the statement;

"Be yourself or be by yourself."

I thought I understood the meaning of this but I was sadly mistaken. In several recent instances I have grown to truly understand what my mother meant. Being true to yourself, and simply being yourself, makes so many aspects of your life clearer and easier.

Being comfortable with my voice (both on the page and off), as well as my personal style, and other things I enjoy has made my path in life that much clearer. There were places in my life where I was conforming to other people and didn't even realize it.

This includes doing what family "expected", changing myself to catch guys or make friends, and trying to be like designers and artists I could never be.

The pressure was coming from outside sources as well as myself. All leading to anxiety, empty friendships, awkward relationships, and fruitless job searches.

Everyday I see young people trying to be what they're not; it only results in chunks of humans who look, sound, and act exactly the same. A bunch of potential just get's wasted in vast sea's of people with 100+ Facebook friends, 1,000+ Twitter followers, 10,000+ Instagram followers, who have no one to actually talk to.

Be yourself and the right people will come along to praise and join you.

Be surrounded by people who can stimulate you not dumb you down.

Do what you love and money and security will come.

You should always put yourself in a place where you can grow as a person. Not in a place where you get lost amongst the masses.

Be yourself and no one else.






Popular posts from this blog

Humpday Update #9

Does anyone else find it highly annoying when you make plans to be productive and instead spend your time moping and binge-watching Archer? I do. Having a three day weekend for easter was supposed to be functional and full of energy. Instead of sticking to my guns I found myself doing nothing productive. I have a huge project I want to get off the ground and I've hardly started on it. I did clean and rearrange my apartment a bit so the weekend wasn't a complete waste. But here we are on Wednesday, feeling like a Monday, and I have nothing to show. My new plans resolve around unifying this blog. I managed to do at least that starting this past Monday. New layout, and a slow rolling in of more unified imagery for my posts. Trying to sell a discontinued DSLR to get a small body mirrorless for post images and everyday use. But I guess before I start shuttering away I should plan on leaving the comfort of my bed and Netflix more often... Jeez.

Be Back Soon

I hinted really heavy at this in the last update. Given I also promised a few posts before the next one – but anyway ... In short, my blogger mojo is gone. And in shorter, my life needs me. My interests lately have just moved to other projects and I can't seem to focus on writing good posts with meaningful content when my mind is someplace else. I plan to be back to posting by July 4. See you then.

Humpday Update #23: "Project Motivation"

2016 Eisner Award Winning "Paper Girls" So what you probably can't tell from my absence is that I've been secretly working on "Project Motivation". I talk a lot about making lists, getting things done, and tackling personal projects; as well as being tired, worn out, and just plain not in the mood. All the while "Project Motivation" has been a go. Christmas was the best time to really put things into action. I got the whole week off from work which was much needed to recharge and focus on things I really wanted to do. I spent time with family, my boyfriend, and my fur babies and recently finally went shopping. Getting mostly things to change my living space up including a new desk and trinkets to draw me back into drawing and designing. I grabbed a graphic novel I've been wanting to start and fun bits and bobs. The major bits of "Project Motivation" have been set into motion or completed. Create a Workspace Create/Upd...