Skip to main content

Get Up, Go Out



School is out or finally over, no work on Monday, and it'll be hot and sunny all weekend. (In my hometown anyway)

What are you going to do? Hopefully not sit in the house. 

Now I love to do nothing as much as someone can love a thing. I literally make plans to do nothing and get pretty upset when those plans are ruined. But I've been slowly trying to do more because FOMO has ruined many a summer and spring break for me.

Pull out your pen and paper kiddies; we're gonna learn some stuff today. 

FOMO = Fear of Missing Out Fealing like something fun is happening somewhere without you. Although usually (in my case anyway) it's fact. Receiving or seeing a picture of your "friends" doing something awesome without you is easily the worst feeling. I'm training myself to not immediately feel as though they purposely left me out and instead think along the lines of positivity. 

GOMO = Going Out More Often Is as easy as it sounds. It's the perfect way to combat FOMO; by simply finding things to do, alone or with friends. Who cares what fun things other people are up to when you're living life as well!

My GOMO plans are a mile long this summer and I am so excited. Anime conventions galore, family barbecues, impromptu trips to Philadelphia for a proper cheesesteak, and I could go on and on.

FOMO runs rampant with people in their teens to mid twenties, and maybe even later. It's in the nature of people our age to have what I call a Rapid Friend Turnover Rate. Our interests are all over the place and we are either constantly changing our friend lineup or switching between friend groups on a loop.

Then for some of us we're just loners. (remember how I like to do nothing?)

The idea is to create an experience for yourself. While it's amazing to hang with friends it's ok when you don't and it's cool when you miss out. There is always next time. Do things that will give you a story to tell and amazing photos (or videos) of your own to share.

Go to that concert you've been dying to go to. Just put it out there and someone will want to enjoy it with you. Or hit that thrift store you've seen a million times on the way to work.

Or... THROW AN EVENT OF YOUR OWN!

Be the hit of the summer with a party or hangout and banish FOMO for good.

Don't be a lump. Get up and get out!



Think you've got the idea of a lifetime for an event? Let Eventbrite make it easier! 
Check out their Planning & Management page.








Popular posts from this blog

Humpday Update #26

Art by: Rafael Alvarez I've pretty much realized by this point that very few bloggers out there have anything of substance to say. With most of us out there being females, and more than %75 percent of us talking about topics like fashion, makeup, hair, and "lifestyle" which amounts to little more than recipes, $60 throw pillows, and fruit infusion water bottles. What I'm getting at here is that watching "fluff" bloggers take the spotlight is really disheartening when you're trying to actually say something. I try to be completely honest in my posts. Giving people ways to tackle problems in their lives no matter how big or small. Self confidence, reaching goals, and doing what you love. But because I'm not teaching the perfect contour, where to by the latest shag rug, or even worse, passing off the latest overpriced product...my reader count remains embarrassingly low. It's more than frustrating actually. It makes me want to punch every

Humpday Update #25

I like really love starting projects. Can you tell? But this project is a big one, one that will take most likely the entire year of 2017 to reach it's full potential. I'll need friends, partners, and possibly a kick-starter... The best part about this project is that I get to empower other creatives while also empowering myself. One of the things I see across my social media, and one of the things I've noticed I face myself, is that creatives need other creatives to get most projects off the ground. Whether it be a critique or a partner, creatives are constantly searching for the "other half" of a great idea. Writers need Illustrators. Musicians need Videographers. Photographers need Graphic Designers. The list goes on and on. In it's early stages (like right now) Maker Mashup exits solely as a Facebook group and its parent page . Bringing creatives together in a more chaotic place than I'd refer, but everything has to start somewhere. B

Understanding the Disappointment Equation

"I try not to expect things from people because that's how they let me down." New Year, new mindset. At least that's what's going around right? Give it another week and most of the people who are all talk around the start of the new year will fall back into routine. It's sad, but they're annoying and it's true. I on the other hand am not slowing down. Being happy and doing something worth remembering come 2018 is high on my list. With these goals in mind I've been trying to pay close attention to how other happy people are so d*mn happy. One word; EXPECTATIONS. As in lower, of course. Having no expectations at all can cause more harm than good. But I've learned that a good balance of expectations as they relate to reality, can have a better outcome. Try to rethink the equation as reality over expectation instead of the other way around. Meeting new people, for example. The reality is that they don't know you and that they cou