Skip to main content

Find Your Hive


What we don't see often enough are people who uplift each other. 

And what people don't seem to understand is that complete strangers can have just as much power over us as our closest friends and family. Surprise surprise, it's not about caring what people think. It's about being human.

So claim that no-one influences you because you're just so strong and I will happily ask you to have a seat and stop living in the clouds.

Someone seeing a situation in your life from the outside can say a lot about you and how you carry yourself. It can also say a lot about whether the right or wrong people are guiding you through your life. Or whether the advice you've received in the past was definitely not for the best. 

My decision to study Business when I entered school was my decision. But it was my decision for the benefit of others, not for the benefit of myself. One person, one art student, and the only art student who tagged along on a business study trip overseas noticed something about me and was human enough to speak up about it. 

She saw someone trudging through the wrong major for the wrong reasons. Everything about me screamed "art student" to her but here I was in the business management major and I couldn't even tell her why. 

"Why don't you change majors? It's not too late."

That's all she had to say to me. That's all it took, and I applied for the change promptly among my return. My new major had it's challenges, trust me, but challenges I could face because I wanted to do it for me.

Have you ever had someone you know really well tell you you look good, only to feel like they're just saying that because you're friends? Yet when I stranger on the street compliments you, truly and honestly compliments you it can turn your whole day around?

This is what I mean when I say that strangers have power over us. And when the right strangers use their power for good, amazing things can come of it.


  1. Be open minded
  2. Be honest
  3. Be yourself


Allowing other things to influence you can almost always work out to your advantage. You are not the pinnacle of all knowledge and creativity. Neither is anyone else. But it's when we allow each other to be influencers and teach us new things that we can join together and become that much more ready for life.

Be honest with people and especially with yourself. An honest comment or observation to a friend, stranger, or your own reflection can change a course for the better. Even if that observation isn't the kindest, and may come off harsh. Take the time to think through what you see and how it will affect the other party, then approach them in privacy and confidence.

Being you is something that can't be stressed enough. Your hive is not made of the people who make you feel silly or stupid for being you. Your hive is made of people who respect who are and enjoy (or at least understand) the things that make you happy.

One would think people our age don't need to be told how to help others and ourselves. But I believe that as we get older it's something we tend to forget.

Now go compliment a stranger. Affirm yourself. And find your hive. 


Popular posts from this blog

Humpday Update #26

Art by: Rafael Alvarez I've pretty much realized by this point that very few bloggers out there have anything of substance to say. With most of us out there being females, and more than %75 percent of us talking about topics like fashion, makeup, hair, and "lifestyle" which amounts to little more than recipes, $60 throw pillows, and fruit infusion water bottles. What I'm getting at here is that watching "fluff" bloggers take the spotlight is really disheartening when you're trying to actually say something. I try to be completely honest in my posts. Giving people ways to tackle problems in their lives no matter how big or small. Self confidence, reaching goals, and doing what you love. But because I'm not teaching the perfect contour, where to by the latest shag rug, or even worse, passing off the latest overpriced product...my reader count remains embarrassingly low. It's more than frustrating actually. It makes me want to punch every

Humpday Update #25

I like really love starting projects. Can you tell? But this project is a big one, one that will take most likely the entire year of 2017 to reach it's full potential. I'll need friends, partners, and possibly a kick-starter... The best part about this project is that I get to empower other creatives while also empowering myself. One of the things I see across my social media, and one of the things I've noticed I face myself, is that creatives need other creatives to get most projects off the ground. Whether it be a critique or a partner, creatives are constantly searching for the "other half" of a great idea. Writers need Illustrators. Musicians need Videographers. Photographers need Graphic Designers. The list goes on and on. In it's early stages (like right now) Maker Mashup exits solely as a Facebook group and its parent page . Bringing creatives together in a more chaotic place than I'd refer, but everything has to start somewhere. B

Understanding the Disappointment Equation

"I try not to expect things from people because that's how they let me down." New Year, new mindset. At least that's what's going around right? Give it another week and most of the people who are all talk around the start of the new year will fall back into routine. It's sad, but they're annoying and it's true. I on the other hand am not slowing down. Being happy and doing something worth remembering come 2018 is high on my list. With these goals in mind I've been trying to pay close attention to how other happy people are so d*mn happy. One word; EXPECTATIONS. As in lower, of course. Having no expectations at all can cause more harm than good. But I've learned that a good balance of expectations as they relate to reality, can have a better outcome. Try to rethink the equation as reality over expectation instead of the other way around. Meeting new people, for example. The reality is that they don't know you and that they cou