Skip to main content

Just Do It

I used to be that person. Full of complaints with no solutions.

Now I'm the person that will still complain (only the truth!), but I also make an effort to get off my butt and DO something about my "problems".

The things I hear and see vary from things people want to do, to places they want to visit, and life changes they want to make. If you have so many gripes... why not just do something else?

There are so many factors to consider when the time comes to make a change. I can promise you that I understand it. Some changes will greatly affect other things in your life while others will have no affect at all.

For example, wanting a new job will affect the current job, the skills you may have to acquire or sharpen to switch, the time it will take to apply (and schedule interviews), and the change to your income can affect your life negatively or positively. While on the other hand wanting to do something simple like learning to cook is as simple as GETTING OFF YOUR BUTT AND COOKING!

In either situation sitting around complaining is doing nothing to help you.

It's only annoying those around you and filling you with dread and anxiety.

The complaints are happening as a unit as well. Especially among young people or twenty-somethings. We sit around forming groups of people who dislike a thing but do nothing to actually enforce a change. I mean, what are you guys doing? Eating cheese and crackers in a circle?

We came from the "Be What You Wanna Be" generation, we had literally everything handed to us. The generation that was basically lied to because we haven't been given the same means as our parents and grandparents. But this does not put a gold stamp on our constant angry letters and rants. It should be pushing us to FIND the means and MAKE things happen.

Already wallowing in student debt? Teach yourself that new thing instead of spending more money in school! Hate your job? Get a new one! Tired of that one friend? Cut them off! Want to go out? Go!

The things you want to do and change are not impossible. But it's also smart to remember that changes will not happen right away.

You are not going to be handed your dream job, apartment, or car. Skills don't fall from the sky. People don't wake up a different person. Change doesn't happen by osmosis.

Your "problems" will not fix themselves.

I use that word loosely as I've also noticed that a lot of these complaints are over nothing even remotely important in the broad scope of your life. I feel like we need to clarify Needs vs. Wants. A post for another day...

You are talented, educated, brave, and beautiful (guys too. <3). Stop living in the past and stop stressing about the future.

Do what you can do today.

But for the love of your own sanity, please stop complaining and just do it.






Popular posts from this blog

Humpday Update #23: "Project Motivation"

2016 Eisner Award Winning "Paper Girls" So what you probably can't tell from my absence is that I've been secretly working on "Project Motivation". I talk a lot about making lists, getting things done, and tackling personal projects; as well as being tired, worn out, and just plain not in the mood. All the while "Project Motivation" has been a go. Christmas was the best time to really put things into action. I got the whole week off from work which was much needed to recharge and focus on things I really wanted to do. I spent time with family, my boyfriend, and my fur babies and recently finally went shopping. Getting mostly things to change my living space up including a new desk and trinkets to draw me back into drawing and designing. I grabbed a graphic novel I've been wanting to start and fun bits and bobs. The major bits of "Project Motivation" have been set into motion or completed. Create a Workspace Create/Upd...

Be Back Soon

I hinted really heavy at this in the last update. Given I also promised a few posts before the next one – but anyway ... In short, my blogger mojo is gone. And in shorter, my life needs me. My interests lately have just moved to other projects and I can't seem to focus on writing good posts with meaningful content when my mind is someplace else. I plan to be back to posting by July 4. See you then.

Humpday Update #9

Does anyone else find it highly annoying when you make plans to be productive and instead spend your time moping and binge-watching Archer? I do. Having a three day weekend for easter was supposed to be functional and full of energy. Instead of sticking to my guns I found myself doing nothing productive. I have a huge project I want to get off the ground and I've hardly started on it. I did clean and rearrange my apartment a bit so the weekend wasn't a complete waste. But here we are on Wednesday, feeling like a Monday, and I have nothing to show. My new plans resolve around unifying this blog. I managed to do at least that starting this past Monday. New layout, and a slow rolling in of more unified imagery for my posts. Trying to sell a discontinued DSLR to get a small body mirrorless for post images and everyday use. But I guess before I start shuttering away I should plan on leaving the comfort of my bed and Netflix more often... Jeez.