Skip to main content

Skip Black Friday; Go Small Business Saturday

It's thanksgiving and I know MOST of you are more excited for Black Friday than you are for free food. As a young person on a budget, the idea of  low prices on things we can't usually afford gets our blood pumping.

But what if you could shop like this all the time?

I could go into a long lecture about large companies, manufacturing costs, price inflation, and a all the little bits and bobs that most consumers don't understand when they're paying $40 for a sweater that cost $8 to make. (yeah, I just challenged your shopping choices). But instead what I'll do is share with you why small businesses matter, why "Buying Local is Better", some of my favorite local shops, and what it's like being the child of a small business owner.

To start, the definition of a small business is an independently owned and operated company that is limited in size depending on the industry. So a bakery employing 10 people and a manufacturing facility employing under 500 are both a small business.

Despite it's definition a small business is still mostly seen as the aforementioned bakery, the bookstore on the corner, or the local thrift shop.

No matter how you see a small business the impact on its immediate community is largely more positive than your local, larger companies. Corporations like major clothing stores and chain restaurants, usually do not operate in your home town. Most times they aren't even a major corporate presence in your state or even in the US. Large companies like this have so many levels of personnel and production that the money you paid for that sweater most likely never even made it back into the pocket of the person who pieced it together.

The story with a small business is different. Guaranteed the money you spend is keeping the lights on, feeding a family, and going towards specially formulated small business taxes that ensure the money goes back into the city or town the business is being operated in. When a small business thrives you watch it happen before your very eyes.

I live in an arts community with plenty of small business keeping us going. Some of my favorite places hold awesome events, sell unique products, and have out-of-the-box setups that work for everyone. From being strictly "in the family" to being owned and run by the employees. Across the board I'd rather spend my money here than anywhere else.

Red Emma's Is a bookstore, vegan restaurant, and event venue all bundled into one. What is unique about this place is not only it's history in Baltimore, but the fact that it's owned and run by every employee. They host book signings for local authors, speaking events, and even town hall meetings that create a safe place for open discussion. The food is always fresh and well prepared and it's become a pivotal part of where and how I live.

Atomic Books Is another bookstore but one that differs from Red Emma's in vibe and books you can find. Their inventory is made mostly of zines, art books, art prints, and a wide selection of vinyl records. Atomic Books also takes the extra step in helping artists and writers get their work out into the world by taking in printed zines, locally written/drawn graphic novels and comic books, photo-books, and art prints and giving them the shelf space they wouldn't get at a Barnes and Noble or a Books a Million.

Hunting Ground I love to shop just as much as the next girl but I've managed to warp my love of shopping into a love of thrifting. Hunting Ground doesn't just take in any old pieces but instead the lovely ladies working there make sure to curate everything they bring in to be sure it's of good quality and that it's a truly unique and sometimes even a hard-to-find piece.

Crystals, Candles, & Cauldrons Takes the term "specialty store" very seriously. It is essentially a Pagan supply store owned and run by a practicing Pagan Witch. The small, first floor store makes sure to inform customers that these aren't just candles for your living room table that you'll never light, or incense for a regular day. As someone new to the "craft" I was lucky to find this place and the owner teaches me something new whenever I visit. I could easily jump on Amazon and order the things I run out of regularly, but having a relationship with someone who can answer my questions and guide me in the right direction is worth the trip away from my computer.

Now looking over my list shows small businesses that are product based, but my mother's own small business is service based. My mother is an independent Medical Biller who works mostly with small practice doctors and nurses. Her small business was my family's income. There were no yearly raises, bonuses, paid time off or leave. There were and still are few vacations and plenty of late nights. The choice her clients made to work small allowed them a personalized workflow from my mother and decidedly less stress. If they had gone to any number of the many large Medical Billing companies or chosen to do it themselves, they would be faced with little to no personalization and many more mistakes for which no one can really be held responsible.

No matter how you look at it, small business just works. You are directly affecting someones income and in turn their family and the surrounding community.

During the holidays running a business can become a little tight too! Staying open later and offering more to compete with the corporations can be strenuous and small business need our help and guidance! While we can definitely don our hero capes and dive in but sometimes we aren't enough. Special small business loans can allow for wiggle room and met goals which allow small business to grow. Sites like Fundera make it easier for small businesses to compare the best loans for them and set a plan in motion.

Black Friday is nice and Cyber Monday is fun but give small business Saturday a spin and see how shopping small business can change your consumer habits for the better.





Popular posts from this blog

Humpday Update #26

Art by: Rafael Alvarez I've pretty much realized by this point that very few bloggers out there have anything of substance to say. With most of us out there being females, and more than %75 percent of us talking about topics like fashion, makeup, hair, and "lifestyle" which amounts to little more than recipes, $60 throw pillows, and fruit infusion water bottles. What I'm getting at here is that watching "fluff" bloggers take the spotlight is really disheartening when you're trying to actually say something. I try to be completely honest in my posts. Giving people ways to tackle problems in their lives no matter how big or small. Self confidence, reaching goals, and doing what you love. But because I'm not teaching the perfect contour, where to by the latest shag rug, or even worse, passing off the latest overpriced product...my reader count remains embarrassingly low. It's more than frustrating actually. It makes me want to punch every

Humpday Update #25

I like really love starting projects. Can you tell? But this project is a big one, one that will take most likely the entire year of 2017 to reach it's full potential. I'll need friends, partners, and possibly a kick-starter... The best part about this project is that I get to empower other creatives while also empowering myself. One of the things I see across my social media, and one of the things I've noticed I face myself, is that creatives need other creatives to get most projects off the ground. Whether it be a critique or a partner, creatives are constantly searching for the "other half" of a great idea. Writers need Illustrators. Musicians need Videographers. Photographers need Graphic Designers. The list goes on and on. In it's early stages (like right now) Maker Mashup exits solely as a Facebook group and its parent page . Bringing creatives together in a more chaotic place than I'd refer, but everything has to start somewhere. B

Understanding the Disappointment Equation

"I try not to expect things from people because that's how they let me down." New Year, new mindset. At least that's what's going around right? Give it another week and most of the people who are all talk around the start of the new year will fall back into routine. It's sad, but they're annoying and it's true. I on the other hand am not slowing down. Being happy and doing something worth remembering come 2018 is high on my list. With these goals in mind I've been trying to pay close attention to how other happy people are so d*mn happy. One word; EXPECTATIONS. As in lower, of course. Having no expectations at all can cause more harm than good. But I've learned that a good balance of expectations as they relate to reality, can have a better outcome. Try to rethink the equation as reality over expectation instead of the other way around. Meeting new people, for example. The reality is that they don't know you and that they cou