Skip to main content

Embracing My Spirituality Without Shunning My Christianity

Sage bundle and turkey feather used in smudging.

This post was very hard to work on and even harder to post because of the statement of fact I will make about myself.

I choose to be a spiritual person rather than a religious one.

The question, "Does God exist?" or "Do you believe in God?" makes me very uncomfortable. Because the me raised in church and catholic school would say yes because she should, while the me who LOVED world religions and grew into an understanding of people would say something along the lines of the idea of a god being real. 

Despite where I am in my life with my beliefs, there are people and teachings I cannot turn away from. My mother, for example, who is one of the strongest and most pure christians I know, was the first who taught me that church is more than a building and who still makes sure that I pray when I feel it. I can't truly kick twenty years of teachings.

But all the same I can't forget three of the most important happenings that put me here. And in all honesty made me question some of what I saw as I aged.

  1. Being scolded for reciting the "Hail Mary" in a Baptist church.
  2. Learning that being baptized in a non-Catholic Church did not mean I was "saved" or "baptized" in the Catholic Church. (I got in trouble for taking communion; something I did every Sunday in my own church home)
  3. Taking World Religions in my last year of high school and learning about religions with deep spiritual meaning and a much longer history than Christianity.
I like to believe these instances woke me up. The first two showed me how Christianity is not one inclusive religion but one beast with many heads. (in my own opinion)

With that said, I don't think christians are bad.

I have seen great work and received powerful guidance from many christians who were from many disciplines of christianity. I have also taken it upon myself to study other religions and science to pull together practices that make my spirituality special to me. 

Prayer is slowly returning to my life as I feel more comfortable using it to put my intentions out into the universe rather than praying to one god in particular. 

Meditation allows me to clam myself when I'm feeling stressed and worried. Opening all the windows and lighting incense and candles allow me to clear my mind and face my life with a fresh and open mind.

Smudging is an old Native American practice adopted by Pagan religions that involves burning sage or other herbs to banish bad vibes and in some instances bad spirits that have gathered in a place. When I've been angry, irritated, or sleeping poorly I do this to "cleanse" my apartment.

Implementation of Herbs into my diet and aromatherapy practices pulls me away from chemicals that exist in food and alcohol. I make my own detoxifying tea and have created several herb mixes whose scents can calm, focus, and heal me. I still enjoy greasy food (and meat) and the occasional drink but I try to balance. I have learned to better care for and love my body.

Unconditional Love was always taught from the begging for me. Jesus opened his arms to EVERYONE regardless of how they lived. In other religions there is a similar theme of opening up and caring for others. I've found myself slowly becoming more receptive of people and their situations whereas before I must have ignored them. Making others feel good makes me feel good as well.

I want people to understand that you can embrace what makes you comfortable without shunning where you came from. The choice is entirely yours. Be proud of it.

As I said before, posting this makes me extremely self conscious and worried. As someone who grew up christian, and with how christians react to non-christians I can only imagine some of the following conversations.

 I invite comments and questions concerning this post, but I must say that if they are anything less than acceptance or pure curiosity, keep it to yourself.




Don't forget to follow!

Popular posts from this blog

Humpday Update #26

Art by: Rafael Alvarez I've pretty much realized by this point that very few bloggers out there have anything of substance to say. With most of us out there being females, and more than %75 percent of us talking about topics like fashion, makeup, hair, and "lifestyle" which amounts to little more than recipes, $60 throw pillows, and fruit infusion water bottles. What I'm getting at here is that watching "fluff" bloggers take the spotlight is really disheartening when you're trying to actually say something. I try to be completely honest in my posts. Giving people ways to tackle problems in their lives no matter how big or small. Self confidence, reaching goals, and doing what you love. But because I'm not teaching the perfect contour, where to by the latest shag rug, or even worse, passing off the latest overpriced product...my reader count remains embarrassingly low. It's more than frustrating actually. It makes me want to punch every

Humpday Update #25

I like really love starting projects. Can you tell? But this project is a big one, one that will take most likely the entire year of 2017 to reach it's full potential. I'll need friends, partners, and possibly a kick-starter... The best part about this project is that I get to empower other creatives while also empowering myself. One of the things I see across my social media, and one of the things I've noticed I face myself, is that creatives need other creatives to get most projects off the ground. Whether it be a critique or a partner, creatives are constantly searching for the "other half" of a great idea. Writers need Illustrators. Musicians need Videographers. Photographers need Graphic Designers. The list goes on and on. In it's early stages (like right now) Maker Mashup exits solely as a Facebook group and its parent page . Bringing creatives together in a more chaotic place than I'd refer, but everything has to start somewhere. B

Understanding the Disappointment Equation

"I try not to expect things from people because that's how they let me down." New Year, new mindset. At least that's what's going around right? Give it another week and most of the people who are all talk around the start of the new year will fall back into routine. It's sad, but they're annoying and it's true. I on the other hand am not slowing down. Being happy and doing something worth remembering come 2018 is high on my list. With these goals in mind I've been trying to pay close attention to how other happy people are so d*mn happy. One word; EXPECTATIONS. As in lower, of course. Having no expectations at all can cause more harm than good. But I've learned that a good balance of expectations as they relate to reality, can have a better outcome. Try to rethink the equation as reality over expectation instead of the other way around. Meeting new people, for example. The reality is that they don't know you and that they cou